By attending any part of Sweet Molasses Blues (SMB), I am agreeing to abide by these policies and waivers.
Sweet Molasses Blues is dedicated to providing a harassment-free event experience for everyone regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, race, religion, dance skill level, or dance role. We do not tolerate harassment in any form.
Harassment includes but is not limited to deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of events, inappropriate physical contact, unwelcome sexual attention, and offensive verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, race, religion, dance skill level, or dance role. Participants asked to stop any inappropriate or harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
Participants who engage in harassing behavior may be sanctioned by event organizers in a manner they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from the event without a refund.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, feel unsafe due to an attendee that has engaged in harassing behavior inside or outside the event, or have any other concerns, please contact a Safer Spaces team member or an organizer immediately. Please see the registration desk if you are unable to locate a Safer Spaces team member or an organizer. Anonymous reports are accepted.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at https://sweetmolassesblues.com/contact.
Etiquette at Sweet Molasses Blues
In the effort to maintain a fun and comfortable dance space, attendees are encouraged to follow these guidelines which are commonplace in our community:
- Explicitly ask people to dance through verbal language. Anyone can ask anyone to dance.
- Do not assume a dance role based on appearances. When in doubt, ask!
- Feel free to decline an invitation to dance. It is okay to say no and you do not need to give a reason nor sit the song out. Accept a “No” with grace – it’s not about you.
- Do not perform weight sharing moves (dips, etc) without your partner’s consent. We discourage aerials for the safety of you, your partner, and those around you.
- Refrain from offering unsolicited dance advice, unless it would correct dangerous or uncomfortable movement.
- Pay attention to your surroundings to avoid collisions. Keep yourself, your partner, and other attendees safe.
- Invite your partner into new connections such as close embrace. Don’t force it.
- Always respect the personal boundaries others have set.
These are guidelines for our community. Most importantly, we always treat each other with respect. If you notice unsafe or repeated breaches of etiquette, please inform event staff. We can only address the problems we know about.
I hereby release SMB staff, organizers, volunteers, and all venues associated with SMB from all liability of injury, loss, or damage to personal property associated with this event. I acknowledge that I understand the content of this document. I am aware that it is legally binding and I accept it out of my own free will.
Photo and Media Waiver
I understand that SMB uses photographs and videos from its classes and events for promotional purposes. I grant SMB the right to use and incorporate photographs, sound bites, and videos of me taken at these events, in whole or in part, without compensation, for website, advertising, and promotional purposes. Should I wish to be excluded from media used for the above purposes, I understand that it is my responsibility to inform SMB staff at the registration table upon my arrival at SMB. I understand that SMB will make its best effort to accommodate those who wish to be excluded from media.
For more information on opting out of media, please contact us directly.