- June 30 – T-shirt pre-orders due. Additional T-shirts with a limited selection of sizes available will be sold at the door.
- June 30 – Deadline for guaranteed housing signups for guests. Housing assignments will be available shortly after this deadline. Additional guests registering after June 30 can email us and we will match you with housing first-come first-served as long as we have spaces available.
- July 5 – Deadline for volunteer sign ups (sign up sheet here)
- July 23 at 11:59pm – Online registration closes. Afterwards full weekend passes (3rd and 4th tier), dance only, and a la carte dances/workshops will be available at the door!
Sweet Molasses Blues has a sliding scale pricing system! We need your help making this event financially accessible for everyone. By paying a bit more, your generosity allows for more people to come and dance with us. Please take a moment to consider paying the highest price that you can afford for the 2019 edition of Sweet Molasses Blues.
Dancers who are able to purchase a Community Supporter or Super Community Supporter pass will be contributing to both our self-selected pass subsidy and our Living Legacies Program.
If you are interested in participating in the Living Legacies program as a partial/full scholarship recipient or if you are interested in donating more than the Supporter tiers as a pass sponsor, please contact LivingLegacies@sweetmolassesblues.com .
If you have questions about sliding scale pricing or anything else please contact your organizers via the Contact Us page.
All Full Weekend Passes include: 3 evenings of social dancing to live music, 3 late-night social dances, 2 full days of workshops, and now include Sunday BBQ dinner.
“Thursday: Live at Blues Union” tickets will be sold on the Blues Union website and at the door. Info on Dance-Only Passes and door sales will be available at a later date.
ADVANCED: Think you can hang with the big dogs? We want to see! This is where the All-Stars are required to compete, and those wanting to become All-Stars can throw down. If you've ever placed at a BluesSHOUT! All-Star qualifying event, this is likely the right spot for you. If you've made finals, we encourage you to give this level a try.
OPEN: Are you ready to throw down, but not quite ready for advanced? Open is the spot for you. We encourage everyone who is not an advanced competitor to enter the open M&M.
If you have questions, contact the event or Sarah Elise to figure it out.
You may only compete in one M&M, regardless of role.
Want to be a part of our choreography competition? This year, we’re doing something a little different; the prelims are by video!
To participate, please register below and submit at least one minute of your choreography by May 20th, 2019.
Please note that while we do our absolute best to house all out of town dancers, housing is not guaranteed. If you have any questions, concerns, or changes of plans, feel free to email email@example.com.
Sweet Molasses Blues is dedicated to providing a harassment-free event experience for everyone regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, race, religion, dance skill level, or dance role. We do not tolerate harassment in any form.
Harassment includes but is not limited to deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of events, inappropriate physical contact, unwelcome sexual attention, and offensive verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, race, religion, dance skill level, or dance role. Participants asked to stop any inappropriate or harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
Participants who engage in harassing behavior may be sanctioned by event organizers in a manner they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from the event without a refund.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, feel unsafe due to an attendee that has engaged in harassing behavior inside or outside the event, or have any other concerns, please contact a Safer Spaces team member or an organizer immediately. Please see the registration desk if you are unable to locate a Safer Spaces team member or an organizer. Anonymous reports are accepted.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at https://sweetmolassesblues.com/contact.
Etiquette at Sweet Molasses Blues
In the effort to maintain a fun and comfortable dance space, attendees are encouraged to follow these guidelines which are commonplace in our community:
- Explicitly ask people to dance through verbal language. Anyone can ask anyone to dance.
- Do not assume a dance role based on appearances. When in doubt, ask!
- Feel free to decline an invitation to dance. It is okay to say no and you do not need to give a reason nor sit the song out. Accept a “No” with grace - it's not about you.
- Do not perform weight sharing moves (dips, etc) without your partner's consent. We discourage aerials for the safety of you, your partner, and those around you.
- Refrain from offering unsolicited dance advice, unless it would correct dangerous or uncomfortable movement.
- Pay attention to your surroundings to avoid collisions. Keep yourself, your partner, and other attendees safe.
- Invite your partner into new connections such as close embrace. Don’t force it.
- Always respect the personal boundaries others have set.
These are guidelines for our community. Most importantly, we always treat each other with respect. If you notice unsafe or repeated breaches of etiquette, please inform event staff. We can only address the problems we know about.
I hereby release SMB staff, organizers, volunteers, and all venues associated with SMB from all liability of injury, loss, or damage to personal property associated with this event. I acknowledge that I understand the content of this document. I am aware that it is legally binding and I accept it out of my own free will.
Photo and Media Waiver
I understand that SMB uses photographs and videos from its classes and events for promotional purposes. I grant SMB the right to use and incorporate photographs, sound bites, and videos of me taken at these events, in whole or in part, without compensation, for website, advertising, and promotional purposes. Should I wish to be excluded from media used for the above purposes, I understand that it is my responsibility to inform SMB staff at the registration table upon my arrival at SMB. I understand that SMB will make its best effort to accommodate those who wish to be excluded from media.
For more information on opting out of media, please contact us directly.
Preview of your order:
To make another order, please reload the page.